What are we looking for?
At Hill Dickinson, we need lawyers who fit with the different areas of our business. And since we practice in a lot of different areas, we need differing lawyers; in background, professional interests and personality.
The five main things we are looking for:
- Intellect: 2.1 or above – Brain power is a bare minimum for us. We want trainees who show a commitment to learning and who will continue to learn throughout their careers. We’ll check out the grades you got throughout university, your A-level grades, and your post-graduate grades to make sure you’re right for us.
- Your personality – Our current trainees get up to all sorts outside office hours: Amazonian piranha fishing, kite surfing, glass cutting, fencing and jamming in a jazz band to name but a few. And our lawyers give them a run for their money: horse breeding, collecting swords, taking photographs, balloon artistry…we’re a multi-talented firm. It’s safe to say we like people who aren’t afraid to show personality, so be yourself.
- Commercial awareness – We want trainees with the insight and awareness to understand our clients’ demands and what is expected of us as an international law firm, so we want to hear about your business background, whether that’s three months’ work experience in a blue chip company, or eight years working in public services procurement.
- Your passion for a career in law – We want trainees who have a good idea of what being a lawyer is all about. You’ll need to have experiences that demonstrate your passion for a career in law and the motivation you’ve got to get there - like work experience or attending a vacation scheme.
- Team players – Hill Dickinson operates across its locations and areas of practice as one firm. We want to see evidence that you will be able to work both with us and alongside us.
Everything else is up to you – show us what you’ve got.